Thursday, December 13, 2007

Where Am I?

It's been an odd month or so blogwise for me since my morale wavered, a month spent wondering how to proceed, whether to proceed. I have to say I'm very grateful for the encouragement I've received here, so thank you again.

A few days after puzzling publicly about continuing the blog and even the idea of continuing to write, I got some notes on one of my scripts from a certain reader, and found more encouragement, so thank you Scott.

But I also recognized a few weeks back that my latest project has a pretty decently-sized problem, so while I've got the first act down pre-trimming, I need to run back over the big picture to see if this will cause me massive grief later. A plus is that I woke up the other morning with a pretty neat setup for another story that I can start prepping and switch off working on with the already-started project.

The most important project that's occuring now though is the very rapidly approaching birth of our second child, our as yet unnamed daughter. Originally slated for arrival just after the new year, it looks like she's going to make her debut sometime in the next week (hopefully not during the nor'easter that's due this weekend). We've been painting and re-assembling furniture and hanging little bits of wall art and now my former office is my daughter's nursery. It's a small room, pretty cramped as the office/faux storage room it turned into, but just the right size for a baby. It will be too small for a toddler, however, so while we knew another child would mean our time in our present apartment was short, it now seems like we'll need to make a move in the next twelve months. Since we know we're not going to have any more children and we're both sick to death of paying rent and having no investment to show for it, this means we'll need to be looking to move into our first house. If we follow this train of thought, this necessitates at the very least a higher-paying job for me (the wife does pretty well, I'm the one bringing up the rear).

So I guess you can see where my head is at right now. When I began the blog, my idea was to write about the things that make me write and the things that make me not write. It's time I achieve a more defined focus.

Coming into a third year of what was going to be (albeit an unrealistic and naive goal) a one year push is stretching common sense, so a change of scene would certainly be necessary, a clean house to run around in. I've got a few changes in mind, I'm just considering how and where.

Whatever I decide to do, I'll let you know here. Stay tuned.

No comments: