Thursday, August 16, 2007

not so big finish

I've reached the point where I think someone is engineering On The Lot for failure intentionally. How else to explain the idea behind whittling down a field of filmmakers week after week only to reach a finale where they don't shoot a single frame? Instead, they reran their two films they wanted America to see again before voting.

Somebody, be it Fox or Mark Burnett or Steven Spielberg or the Tooth Fairy, wants to end this thing in the worst way, there's no other way to explain it.

That much said, I'm not that happy with the choice Will made to run the 'Glass Eye' film he made at home for $200 rather than the much better 'Lucky Penny'. If he wanted to show how he could make a film that worked without the production values he had through the contest, then I get the choice, but the goal should have been to put the best works up there. 'The Yes Men' was a no-brainer to rerun, and it's a great indicator of what this guy can do.

Adam followed the same tack as Will and showed his submission film along with his latest film. I just re-read his Lot site profile, I think this guy is someone I'd get along with well if I knew him. Adam's a talented guy and I hope he does well, but I don't think he'll win this competition because he never had one of those standout weeks until it was right at the end.

Jason cleaned his act up a LOT, he actually managed to look like a grown-up and still have some style. I think he stumbled by showing 'Eternal Waters', even though it is technically strong, the story is thin and forced. 'Sweet' was good, but slight. In the end, he was right to make these the two he reran since his other choices were not going to get him any votes.

Who will be the first On The Lot winner? Carrie said Will and Garry said Jason and Brett Ratner didn't show up (the site said he'd be returning this week). I still say Will, and I'm also positive he'll be the last winner of the On The Lot contest since this show won't limp its way to a second season, unfortunately. What a shame.

No comments: